Help stop cruelty to bears in entertainment in Pakistan
Maya is one of an estimated 90 bears currently being used for entertainment in Pakistan.
Over and over again, she’s forced to ‘dance’ for paying crowds. Orphaned and isolated, Maya has known only torture her entire life.
The animals involved – usually beautiful Asiatic black bears like poor Maya – endure an unnatural life of isolation and are often sick, malnourished and uncared for.
Thanks to generous supporters like you and together with our local partner, the Bioresource Research Centre (BRC) we will do everything we can to save them.
You can help to:
- strengthen animal welfare laws and enforcement in Pakistan
- increase public awareness of the cruelty of using bears in entertainment
- have bears surrendered by their owners
- develop alternative livelihoods for previous bear owners to help wipe out the practice
- and provide a high welfare sanctuary for the bears we rescue.
Please donate today and help save Maya and other animals around the world like her from suffering.
$40 could help us work toward having a bear surrendered.
$80 could help relocate a rescued bear to the Balkasar Sanctuary.
$150 could help provide ongoing food and veterinary care to the bears living in the sanctuary.
Where your money goes
- Direct to the field = 88%
- Fundraising = 11%
- Admin = 1%
World Animal Protection (formerly known as WSPA) has been protecting animals for over 50 years and we passionately believe that animals matter. With your support, we’ll go where animal suffering is most far-reaching and animal cruelty is most severe. You can help us bring lasting change for animals:
- In the wild where animals are cruelly traded or killed you can help us prevent it.
- In disasters where together we can save the lives of animals and the livelihoods of the people who depend on them.
- In farming where farm animals are suffering you can help us give them better lives.
- In communities with your support we can stop the needless killing of dogs due to fear of rabies.
In 2013, 85% of funds raised went towards protecting animals in these four areas of work. We can ensure your vital donation is making the biggest impact for animals as possible and is helping achieve lasting change.
* These figures are in local currency and taken from the Australia 2013 audited accounts.