Help stop sloths being used for entertainment
The little sloth Machito was just six months old when he was brought, crying out and disfigured, to the AIUNAU rehabilitation centre in Medellin, Colombia.
He was lucky to have survived.
Many sloths taken from the wild will die within 6 months.
Generous supporters like you helped conduct undercover research from inside Amazonian communities, which has shown the staggering scale of sloths being taken from the wild for entertainment.
Many people aren’t aware that to have a sloth in their arms, somebody had to brutally rip that sloth from his mother in the wild. Mother sloths are defenceless against poachers, and often they are killed in this process.
In the wild, sloths live quiet, sleepy lives. Being constantly surrounded by noise and people they can’t escape causes them unimaginable stress. The poor diets people often feed them can compound this, making them weak or ill.
Together, we can protect sloths from being exploited by humans for profit.
You can help end the disturbing practice of using sloths as photo props, as we work with social media platforms to ban these kind of harmful wildlife selfies from their sites. You can help move the travel industry to stop offering direct contact with wildlife and educate their customers, so fewer people can take wildlife selfies – and fewer want to. And you can help inspire people to join our movement.
And for sloths already suffering in this industry, your kind support could help:
- fund the AIUNAU rehabilitation centre – the high-welfare sanctuary for sloths, anteaters and armadillos in Colombia, where little Machito found safety and care;
- build two new sloth enclosures at AIUNAU where more baby sloths can build their strength and confidence in safe, protected environments;
- build two sloth enclosures in a release location on a forested ranch in the state of Cordoba, Colombia, where sloths can acclimatise to the temperature and surroundings before release;
- Continue the AIUNAU work to rescue, rehabilitate and release sloths back into the wild.
Please give generously today.
* Your donation will help protect animals around the world
$36 could help provide sloths the proper food and veterinary care they need.
$67 could help build two new sloth enclosures at AIUNAU.
$89 could help build two new sloth climate adaptation enclosures on Betanci farm.
Where your money goes
World Animal Protection has been protecting animals for over 50 years and we passionately believe that animals matter. With your support, we’ll go where animal suffering is most far-reaching and animal cruelty is most severe.
In 2015, 87% of funds raised went towards protecting animals in our four areas of work. We can ensure your vital donation is making the biggest impact for animals as possible and is helping achieve lasting change.
* These figures are in local currency and taken from the Australia 2015 audited accounts.
- Programs = 87%
- Fundraising = 12%
- Admin = 1%